Monday, 4 April 2011

Dirty dishes? Yeah, me too.


Confession: dirty dishes in the sink annoy me. A lot. Particularly when they have been there for more hours than I think is acceptable. Much to the relief of my flatmates, this timeframe of acceptability has widened since moving in together.   

But you know what I mean. You go into the kitchen to cook some dinner. You need the medium-sized fry pan. You can’t find it. Oh, it’s in the sink, with remnants of someone’s breakfast omelet in it, underneath 2 bowls which had formerly been full of porridge, a saucepan with who knows what in it, and 3 or 4 mugs. There is a wet mess on the bottom of the sink, a faint smell….eugh!

Ok, so what should you do? Step 1, keep calm. There is no point getting angry. From here, you have a few options. 
1) Use a different pan. 
2) Lift everything out of the sink, and wash the pan you need. 
3) Wash all of the dishes.

I would like to say I always do the really kind option #3, but in reality, I switch between all three options. Living with people is difficult, but it is easier when you all work together a bit, and help one another out.  And yes, sometimes this means cleaning up after them. But if you do, they are more likely to clean up after you too. Everyone wins.  

Unfortunately I am all alone in the flat this week! We're on our spring holidays and I returned early to work on essays (I'm feeling more that a bit sorry for myself!). So all the dishes in the kitchen right now....they're mine. I have no one to blame them on at all. I also have had two, 2!, baking 'fails' this week, which have added to the poor state of the kitchen. So I'm hiding out in the family room until I muster the energy to attack the kitchen with hoover, mop and sponge. Yes, it is that bad. (Don't worry flatmates, it will be clean by the time you get home!) 

Also, shout out to Meghan, who is celebrating her 21st birthday today...in Paris! Eat lots of pastry for us all! 

1 comment:

  1. merci beaucoup ma cherie! :)
    ooooh boy did I eat lots of pastry!! cakes and macarons and possibly the best croissant I've ever had! (and I've had quite a few...)

    ReplyDelete