Sunday, 6 March 2011

The Most Important Meal of the Day: Yup, Breakfast

Let’s be honest, the idea of stumbling out of bed twenty minutes earlier in order to make breakfast is not appealing to many students. But it should be! I’m not going to bang on about it, but breakfast really does fuel your body, kick-start your metabolism and generally set you on track for the day. And, there are more, and better options than toast.

Idea #1: Porridge
It is no secret that I love porridge. My passion for this oat began when Maria, our Finnish CFO, proclaimed that she has eaten porridge every day for breakfast for the past 18 years. She has gone on to do great things. I began to believe there was some magic in that bowl I have previously sniffed at in skepticism. I gave up my usual breakfast of dry cornflakes (seriously, that is what I ate) in search of something more substantial and satisfying. I found it in porridge. 

This is how I make mine: (Disclaimer: I’m American, I work in cups! Any measuring device will work as long as you keep the proportion the same) 1/3 cup quick oats, 1/3 cup semi-skimmed milk, 1/3 cup water. Combine in a bowl and then microwave for 2 minutes (or follow packet directions). I like to add a teaspoon of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, either sliced almonds or chopped walnuts, a couple of raisins or dried cranberries and chopped apple if we have any. A cup of coffee, a glass of OJ, my magical bowl of porridge, and I am ready to face the day. 

Needless to say, it is very healthy, and truly yummy. You can top your porridge with any number of things. Try putting in a handful of frozen berries before you stick it in the microwave, or add a spoonful of jam and/or peanut butter, a squidge of honey, some granola, or fresh/dried fruit. There are hundreds of other ideas on the Quaker Oats website. 


DON’T deface this beautiful breakfast by smothering it in double cream, or making it the McDonalds way. The porridge police will come and get you (Me and Maria). 


Cheap, healthy, tasty, filling and a chance for you to be creative…what’s not to love?
Jenna's daily bowl



Stay tuned for more ideas....what you can look forward to:


Idea #2: Eggs in many ways
Boiled egg
Scrambled
Omelet
Spanish Tortilla (you can eat it for breakfast and lunch – bargain!)

Idea #3: Beyond toast
Beans on toast
Toast with peanut butter, honey and sliced apple
Toast with cinnamon, sugar, banana (also good with peanut butter)
Egg on toast (any way you like it) 

1 comment: